You have to stand guard over the development and maintenance of democracy, social justice and the equality of mankind in your own native soil. [Mohammed Ali Jinnah]

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Aitzaz's detention extended, Bushra Aitzaz speaks


At this moment there is a Quran Khawani for Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Shaheed outside our house in Zaman Park in Lahore.  The Quran Khawani has been arranged by me but my husband, Aitzaz Ahsan, has not been allowed even to step out of the house and participate in the Quran Khawani. He is detained in our house at No. 5, Zaman Park which has been declared a sub-jail and as of today his detention has been further extended for a period of 30 days. In fact the security and police presence outside our house has been greatly increased and a battalion of policemen guard it now in fear that he may come out and join in the prayer meeting.

My husband was also disallowed from participating first in the funeral and then in the soyem at Naudero. He had formally applied to the Federal Government through the Punjab Government and the jail authorities to go to Naudero but the application was denied.

Mr. Aitzaz Ahsan again applied on the 30th December for a reprieve for a mere two hours to join the Quran Khawani outside his house. This request has also been refused.

Mr. Aitzaz Ahsan was arrested on November 03, the day General Musharraf imposed the Emergency. He was initially detained in solitary confinement in Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi and then to house arrest in Lahore.

One day before Eid he was released for three days to enable him to celebrate Eid but was re-arrested on the same day at Chakri interchange on the motorway and was manhandled by plainclothes policemen. He was then driven around and about Chakri and Chakwal in the middle of the night in an open police van and brought to Lahore in the morning. The reprieve granted to him was also cancelled.

Due to exposure to extreme cold and sub-zero wind-chill Mr. Aitzaz Ahsan ran high fever with aches and pains for several days but has now recovered.

Ever since he applied to go to Naudero the security around his house has been beefed up. All phone lines were cut and the cell phones of those who reside therein have blocked and jammed after Mr. Aitzaz Ahsan made a condolence call to Mr. Asif Ali Zardari on the day of the funeral.

Meantime, the Federal Government has further extended the detention of Mr. Aitzaz Ahsan for a period of 30 days with effect from 01.01.2008.

Blogged with Flock

No comments: