The Teachers Action Committee vehemently condemns the FIR lodged against 14 members of the Punjab University academic staff and 4 professors and 2 students of LUMS under sections 124-A, 188, 143/149, 16-MPO and 7 ATA (charge of terrorism). We demand that the state also withdraw cases against PU faculty members as has already been done for LUMS faculty. We stand in complete solidarity with our fellow academics and students who have been subjected to harassment and intimidation. We strongly believe that safeguarding freedom of thought and expression is a fundamental principle of our profession. Thus repressive tactics by the state and restrictions on freedom of speech and peaceful protest by administrations are in direct violation of the principles of our profession and the Pakistani constitution.
We pledge to raise our collective voice to protect and win the constitutional freedoms of our citizens especially teachers and students and we invite all teachers to join us in this long struggle.
1. An immediately end to faculty and student harassment for exercising their constitutional right to free speech and peaceful protest. We demand institutional administrations to protect the constitutional rights of students and faculty.
2. September 2nd judiciary and constitution to be restored immediately.
3. All political prisoners to be released immediately.
4. Lifting of all curbs on the media.
5. Free, fair and transparent elections. We consider the current manipulated election process to be neither free nor fair.
6. An immediate lifting of martial law, army returning permanently to the barracks and the abrogation of changes to Military Law.
With this we take the first step towards a brighter future of our country.
Teacher Action Committee. email@example.com
Blogged with Flock